Tuesday, January 2, 2018

12 Steps ~ AA Part 2



Deborah's Little Gems


 If you would like to read Part 1 go here: 12 Steps~Part 1 

Note: All views expressed here are the opinion and experience of Deborah'Moon"Moen

Entering into the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous or any 12 Step program:
 The experience was like walking into a different realm. From the chaos of dealing with drinking and drugging to a well organized program. There is a secretary, a treasurer, a coffee maker, principles, steps and sharing, even a Big Blue Book to have for reference and study. A peer group materializes before our eyes. Once we were alone and now we are among others 100, 1.000, or more who understand and support us.


 It is the beginning of great transformation There are endless possibilities. It is all up to each individual to choose which path to take. While attending meetings, participants are asked to identify as an alcoholic before they share.



My Name is __________ and I am an alcoholic.



 Some Scenarios that may occur in the 12 Step Program:
  • Some people may slip into their original pattern for many reasons but the reason may be because it feels better, more familiar and provides relief. Change can be frightening and stressful.
  • Others remain in the 12 Step Programs because they continue to receive the benefits and support they desire or benefit greatly from helping others. 
  • Some people believe they will always, in All Ways, forever be an Alcoholic and attend because they are afraid if they do not go they will go back to drinking.  
  • Some people have a calling to explore the spiritual aspects of their being  More about that in 12 Steps the Awakening Part 3. 

Some Benefits of 12 Step programs: These are not in a particular order. And there are  many more benefits I have only mentioned a few here.


  • It does feel wonderful to have support through the members and sponsors
  • It feels wonderful to be a part of a group and witness first hand people who have overcome or managed their challenges.
  • What is shared in the room stays in the room usually
  • Gradually awareness emerges in different stages. The fog of denial is lifted as per individual perception and beliefs.
  • It is wonderful to have some structure and a solution
  • How wonderful to learn responsibility, to be of service
  • Feeling the love of giving by placing $1 in the donation basket ( optional)
  • Aspire towards helping others by attraction not promotion (being the change we would like to have for others)
  • Feeling relief to have our mind diverted and to practice new ways of living.

For the first time I felt peace.

It was a Sunday meeting at a Gazebo outside a hospital, which had someone read the St Francis prayer and after the reading the room would go silent for 5 minutes. This 5 minutes of silence seemed impossible to get through at first. 

Regularly attending this meeting helped me overcome the fear of being still. I grew to love the St. Frances prayer and the peace of mind that 5 minutes of silence had given me. I learned the prayer by heart and was often asked to recite it from memory. In a room full of people who suffered from confusion, including me, this was a miracle. 

After many such meetings at the Gazebo, I had an opportunity to attend a 12 Step meditation on Sunset Beach far away from my home group. This turned out to be a very enriching experience which allowed me to sit quietly for 20 minutes. I actually experienced a dropping down feeling which almost sent me onto the floor. I found out later while sharing my experience with meditating during the meeting, that this was my body relaxing or letting go of yet another layer of stress or sinking deeper into relaxation. 


I eventually found a meditation class near my home at the Hsi Lai Temple in Hacienda Heights, California. 


You may like to read these posts
on my blog



Thank you for joining me on Deborah's Little Gems

Until next time, 
Be Well !



                           


Deborah Moen






No comments:

My Friend Had Covid

  My Friend Had Covid - Deborahs Little Gems Read :This is not a substitute for medical care or medication. This is a few suggestions for ma...